Try this healthy farro salad packed with radicchio and beets.
Farro, Radicchio, and Roasted Beet Salad
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 157
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 18g
Saturated Fat 5g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrates 40g
Dietary Fiber 7g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 8 1- to 1 1/2-inch-diameter beets, tops trimmed to 1 inch
- Vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups semi-pearled farro or wheat berries
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 cups (packed) thinly sliced quartered radicchio (from about 1 medium head)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange beets in single layer in 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish. Drizzle with vegetable oil. Cover with foil and roast until beets are tender, about 45 minutes. Cool. Trim beets; peel. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.
- Cook farro in large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Drain. Transfer to large bowl. Stir 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and garlic into hot farro. Cool to room temperature.
- Cut each beet into 6 to 8 wedges. Add beets, radicchio, onion, and parsley to farro; toss to incorporate evenly. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons olive oil and 3 tablespoons vinegar in small bowl. Drizzle over salad. Add feta cheese; toss to coat.
- Ingredient tip: This recipe calls for semipearled farro, a version of the grain that doesn't require soaking before being cooked. If you're using regular farro, be sure to plan ahead. It will need to soak overnight. Farro is available at specialty foods stores, natural foods stores, and Italian markets.
Gourmet Recipes from Culinary Hipster http://www.culinaryhipster.com/