Farro Salad with Smoked Trout recipe: Combine the nutty flavor of farro with the smokiness of trout in this unique salad.
Farro Salad with Smoked Trout
Write a review
1 hr 15 min
1 hr 15 min
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 139
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 16g
Saturated Fat 2g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrates 46g
Dietary Fiber 8g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 3 (1/2 pound) small beets
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 4 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups (8 ounces) semi-pearled farro
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces skinless smoked trout fillet, flaked
- 1/2 pound (1 cup) beet greens or Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves washed and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a small baking dish, lightly drizzle the beets with olive oil and rub to coat. Cover with foil and roast for about 1 hour, until the beets are tender. Let cool, then peel the beets and cut into 1/2-inch dice.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the garlic, thyme, rosemary, water and 2 teaspoons of salt and bring to a boil. Stir in the farro and simmer over moderate heat until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well. Transfer the farro to a bowl and discard the garlic and herbs. Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine the shallot, lemon juice and honey. Gradually whisk in the 1/3 cup of oil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, toss 2 tablespoons of the dressing with the trout. Add the beets, greens and the remaining dressing to the farro and toss gently. Season with salt and pepper and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Transfer the salad to a serving platter, scatter the trout on top and serve.
Gourmet Recipes from Culinary Hipster http://www.culinaryhipster.com/